Harvard Medical School
Department of Population Medicine
401 Park Drive, Suite 401
Phone: (617) 867-4841
Fax: (617) 867-4845
Assistant Professor, Harvard Medical School
Faculty Member, Harvard Center for Population and Development Studies
Physician, Brigham and Women's Hospital
Jason Block, MD, MPH<< Back to Faculty and Staff List
Dr. Block is a general internal medicine physician with training in epidemiology and population health. Working with interdisciplinary teams, his research follows two tracks (1) examining the geographic influences on the obesity epidemic and (2) intervening in multiple settings to promote weight loss and overall wellness, especially at the environmental level. Dr. Block has completed studies on the geographic distribution of food establishments. He has explored whether proximity to food establishments is associated with body weight in several cohorts, including the Framingham Heart Study Offspring Cohort. On the intervention front, Dr. Block explores point-of-purchase interventions or policies to improve dietary choices in workplaces and food establishments. He has conducted several studies in workplace cafeterias, exploring whether price adjustments, educational messaging, or alterations in product presentation changes purchasing patterns of healthy and unhealthy foods. His current studies include (1) evaluating the coming federal regulation that will require calories to be posted on menus in chain restaurants and (2) exploring financial incentives for weight loss and wellness, through health insurance-based incentives and direct financial incentives, at several workplaces.
- Fiechtner L, Kleinman K, Melly SJ, Sharifi M, Marshall R, Block J, Cheng ER, Taveras EM. Effects of Proximity to Supermarkets on a Randomized Trial Studying Interventions for Obesity. Am J Public Health. 2016 Mar;106(3):557-62. Epub 2016 Jan 21.
- Bleich SN, Wolfson JA, Jarlenski MP, Block JP. Restaurants With Calories Displayed On Menus Had Lower Calorie Counts Compared To Restaurants Without Such Labels. Health Aff (Millwood). 2015 Nov;34(11):1877-84.
- Feazel L, Block J, Jayawardena A, Wehr P, House H, Buresh C. Wilderness medicine race for preclinical students. Clin Teach. 2016 Aug;13(4):271-6. Epub 2015 Jul 24.
- Gillman MW, Block JP. Children With Obesity: How Are They Different? JAMA Pediatr. 2015 Jul;169(7):626-8.
- Fiechtner L, Sharifi M, Sequist T, Block J, Duncan DT, Melly SJ, Rifas-Shiman SL, Taveras EM. Food environments and childhood weight status: effects of neighborhood median income. Child Obes. 2015 Jun;11(3):260-8. Epub 2015 Apr 29.
- Block JP, Roberto CA. Calorie labeling on menus and menu boards--reply. JAMA. 2014 Dec 24-31;312(24):2689.
- Block JP, Roberto CA. Potential benefits of calorie labeling in restaurants. JAMA. 2014 Sep 3;312(9):887-8.
- Block JP, Choudhry NK, Carpenter DP, Fischer MA, Brennan TA, Tong AY, Matlin OS, Shrank WH. Time series analyses of the effect of FDA communications on use of prescription weight loss medications. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2014 Mar;22(3):943-9. Epub 2013 Dec 2.
- Block JP. A substantial tax on sugar sweetened drinks could help reduce obesity. BMJ. 2013 Oct 31. [Epub ahead of print].
- Block JP, Condon SK, Kleinman K, Mullen J, Linakis S, Rifas-Shiman S, Gillman MW. Consumers' estimation of calorie content at fast food restaurants: cross sectional observational study. BMJ. 2013 May 23. [Epub ahead of print].
- Block JP, Subramanian SV, Christakis NA, O'Malley AJ. Population trends and variation in body mass index from 1971 to 2008 in the Framingham Heart Study Offspring Cohort. PLoS ONE. 2013;8(5):e63217. Epub 2013 May 10.
- Block JP, Gillman MW, Linakis SK, Goldman RE. "If it tastes good, I'm drinking it": qualitative study of beverage consumption among college students. J Adolesc Health. 2013 Jun;52(6):702-6. Epub 2013 Feb 14.
- Fiechtner L, Block J, Duncan DT, Gillman MW, Gortmaker SL, Melly SJ, Rifas-Shiman SL, Taveras EM. Proximity to supermarkets associated with higher body mass index among overweight and obese preschool-age children. Prev Med. 2013 Mar;56(3-4):218-21. Epub 2012 Dec 5.
- Walker RE, Block J, Kawachi I. Do residents of food deserts express different food buying preferences compared to residents of food oases? A mixed-methods analysis. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2012 Apr 10. [Epub ahead of print].
- Block JP, Christakis NA, O'Malley AJ, Subramanian SV. Proximity to food establishments and body mass index in the Framingham Heart Study offspring cohort over 30 years. Am J Epidemiol. 2011 Nov 15;174(10):1108-14. Epub 2011 Sep 30.
- Block JP, Chandra A, McManus KD, Willett WC. Point-of-purchase price and education intervention to reduce consumption of sugary soft drinks. Am J Public Health. 2010 Aug;100(8):1427-33. Epub 2010 Jun 17.
- Block JP, He Y, Zaslavsky AM, Ding L, Ayanian JZ. Psychosocial stress and change in weight among US adults. Am J Epidemiol. 2009 Jul 15;170(2):181-92. Epub 2009 May 22.
- Block JP. Shouldering the task. Health Aff (Millwood). 2006 Mar-Apr;25(2):486-7.
- Block JP, Scribner RA, DeSalvo KB. Fast food, race/ethnicity, and income: a geographic analysis. Am J Prev Med. 2004 Oct;27(3):211-7.
- DeSalvo KB, Block JP, Muntner P, Merrill W. Predictors of variation in office visit interval assignment. Int J Qual Health Care. 2003 Oct;15(5):399-405.
- Block JP, DeSalvo KB, Fisher WP. Are physicians equipped to address the obesity epidemic? Knowledge and attitudes of internal medicine residents. Prev Med. 2003 Jun;36(6):669-75.