Harvard Medical School
Department of Population Medicine
133 Brookline Avenue, 6th Floor
Boston, MA 02215
Phone: (617) 509-9986
Fax: (617) 859-9853
Phone: (617) 509-9878
Jeff Brown, PhD
Dr. Brown is an Associate Professor and Director of Scientific Systems in the Department of Population Medicine (DPM) at Harvard Medical School and the Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Institute. He is Research Director of the Therapeutics Research and Infectious Disease program at DPM and Associate Director of the FDA’s Mini-Sentinel project. Dr. Brown is a health services researcher with expertise in pharmacoepidemiology and drug safety, with primary research activities involving the development of new methodologies and techniques to facilitate multi-institutional drug and vaccine safety surveillance using automated healthcare administrative and claims data, including the application of sequential analytic and data mining methodologies. Dr. Brown is the lead architect of PopMedNet (www.popmednet.org), an open-source software platform that facilitates the creation and operation large-scale distributed health data networks. He is co-chair of the Informatics Core of the NCI Cancer Research Network and of the EHR Core of the NIH Health Care System Research Collaboratory. Dr. Brown holds a Master’s degree in Economics from Tufts University and a PhD in Social Policy from Brandeis University.
- Kim SC, Gillet VG, Feldman S, Lii H, Toh S, Brown JS, Katz JN, Solomon DH, Schneeweiss S. Validation of claims-based algorithms for identification of high-grade cervical dysplasia and cervical cancer. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2013 Nov;22(11):1239-44. Epub 2013 Sep 12.
- Maro JC, Brown JS, Kulldorff M. Medical product safety surveillance: how many databases to use? Epidemiology. 2013 Sep;24(5):692-9.
- Brown JS, Kahn M, Toh S. Data quality assessment for comparative effectiveness research in distributed data networks. Med Care. 2013 Aug;51(8 Suppl 3):S22-9.
- Toh S, Gagne JJ, Rassen JA, Fireman BH, Kulldorff M, Brown JS. Confounding adjustment in comparative effectiveness research conducted within distributed research networks. Med Care. 2013 Aug;51(8 Suppl 3):S4-10.
- Toh S, Baker MA, Brown JS, Kornegay C, Platt R. Rapid assessment of cardiovascular risk among users of smoking cessation drugs within the US Food and Drug Administration's Mini-Sentinel program. JAMA Intern Med. 2013;173(9):817-9.
- Kulldorff M, Dashevsky I, Avery TR, Chan AK, Davis RL, Graham D, Platt R, Andrade SE, Boudreau D, Gunter MJ, Herrinton LJ, Pawloski PA, Raebel MA, Roblin D, Brown JS. Drug safety data mining with a tree-based scan statistic. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2013 May;22(5):517-23. Epub 2013 Mar 20.
- Avery TR, Kulldorff M, Vilk Y, Li L, Cheetham TC, Dublin S, Davis RL, Liu L, Herrinton L, Brown JS. Near real-time adverse drug reaction surveillance within population-based health networks: methodology considerations for data accrual. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2013 May;22(5):488-95. Epub 2013 Feb 12.
- Velentgas P, Amato AA, Bohn RL, Chan KA, Cochrane T, Funch DP, Dashevsky I, Duddy AL, Gladowski P, Greenberg SA, Kramer JM, McMahill-Walraven C, Nakasato C, Spettell CM, Syat BL, Wahl PM, Walker AM, Zhang F, Brown JS, Platt R. Risk of Guillain-Barré syndrome after meningococcal conjugate vaccination. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2012 Dec;21(12):1350-8. Epub 2012 Jul 16.
- Curtis LH, Weiner MG, Boudreau DM, Cooper WO, Daniel GW, Nair VP, Raebel MA, Beaulieu NU, Rosofsky R, Woodworth TS, Brown JS. Design considerations, architecture, and use of the Mini-Sentinel distributed data system. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2012 Jan;21 Suppl 123-31.
- Platt R, Carnahan RM, Brown JS, Chrischilles E, Curtis LH, Hennessy S, Nelson JC, Racoosin JA, Robb M, Schneeweiss S, Toh S, Weiner MG. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration's Mini-Sentinel program: status and direction. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2012 Jan;21 Suppl 11-8.
- Hall GC, Sauer B, Bourke A, Brown JS, Reynolds MW, LoCasale R, Casale RL. Guidelines for good database selection and use in pharmacoepidemiology research. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2012 Jan;21(1):1-10. Epub 2011 Nov 8.
- Maro JC, Brown JS. Impact of exposure accrual on sequential postmarket evaluations: a simulation study. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2011 Nov;20(11):1184-91. Epub 2011 Aug 24.
- Behrman RE, Benner JS, Brown JS, McClellan M, Woodcock J, Platt R. Developing the Sentinel System--a national resource for evidence development. N Engl J Med. 2011 Feb 10;364(6):498-9. Epub 2011 Jan 12.
- Brown JS, Holmes JH, Shah K, Hall K, Lazarus R, Platt R. Distributed health data networks: a practical and preferred approach to multi-institutional evaluations of comparative effectiveness, safety, and quality of care. Med Care. 2010 Jun;48(6 Suppl):S45-51.
- Brown JS, Moore KM, Braun MM, Ziyadeh N, Chan KA, Lee GM, Kulldorff M, Walker AM, Platt R. Active influenza vaccine safety surveillance: potential within a healthcare claims environment. Med Care. 2009 Dec;47(12):1251-7.
- Moore KM, Duddy A, Lee GM, Velentgas P, Burwen DR, Platt R, Brown JS. Outpatient urticaria diagnosis codes have limited predictive value for same-day influenza vaccine adverse event detection. J Clin Epidemiol. 2010 Apr;63(4):407-11. Epub 2009 Nov 3.
- Maro JC, Platt R, Holmes JH, Strom BL, Hennessy S, Lazarus R, Brown JS. Design of a national distributed health data network. Ann Intern Med. 2009 Sep 1;151(5):341-4. Epub 2009 Jul 28.
- Brown JS, Kulldorff M, Petronis KR, Reynolds R, Chan KA, Davis RL, Graham D, Andrade SE, Raebel MA, Herrinton L, Roblin D, Boudreau D, Smith D, Gurwitz JH, Gunter MJ, Platt R. Early adverse drug event signal detection within population-based health networks using sequential methods: key methodologic considerations. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2009 Mar;18(3):226-34.
- Velentgas P, Bohn RL, Brown JS, Chan KA, Gladowski P, Holick CN, Kramer JM, Nakasato C, Spettell CM, Walker AM, Zhang F, Platt R. A distributed research network model for post-marketing safety studies: the Meningococcal Vaccine Study. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2008 Dec;17(12):1226-34.
- Moore KM, Duddy A, Braun MM, Platt R, Brown JS. Potential population-based electronic data sources for rapid pandemic influenza vaccine adverse event detection: a survey of health plans. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2008 Dec;17(12):1137-41.