Harvard Medical School
Department of Population Medicine
401 Park Drive, Suite 401
Boston, MA 02215
Chanu Rhee, MD, MPH
Dr. Rhee is an Instructor in the Therapeutics Research and Infectious Disease Epidemiology group within the Department of Population Medicine at Harvard Medical School / Harvard Pilgrim Health Care Institute, and a practicing critical care and infectious disease physician with the Transplant/Oncology Infectious Disease service and Medical Intensive Care Unit at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. He graduated summa cum laude from Georgetown University School of Medicine and completed his internal medicine residency, chief residency, and critical care fellowship at Stanford University Hospital prior to his infectious disease fellowship at Massachusetts General Hospital and MPH degree at Harvard School of Public Health. Dr. Rhee’s research focus is the epidemiology, surveillance, diagnosis, and prevention of infections in critically ill patients. His current work, which is supported in part by the CDC Prevention Epicenters, is focused on finding novel ways to use electronic health record clinical data to facilitate population and patient-level surveillance of sepsis and improve quality of care for hospitalized patients.
- Klompas M, Rhee C. The CMS Sepsis Mandate: Right Disease, Wrong Measure. Ann Intern Med. 2016 Jun 14. [Epub ahead of print].
- Rhee C, Kadri SS, Danner RL, Suffredini AF, Massaro AF, Kitch BT, Lee G, Klompas M. Diagnosing sepsis is subjective and highly variable: a survey of intensivists using case vignettes. Crit Care. 2016 Apr 6. [Epub ahead of print].
- Rhee C. Cytokine Imbalance Predicts Poor Outcomes in Staphylococcus aureus Bacteremia--But What Can We Do About It? Crit Care Med. 2016 Apr;44(4):846-7.
- Seymour CW, Coopersmith CM, Deutschman CS, Gesten F, Klompas M, Levy M, Martin GS, Osborn TM, Rhee C, Warren DK, Watson RS, Angus DC. Application of a Framework to Assess the Usefulness of Alternative Sepsis Criteria. Crit Care Med. 2016 Mar;44(3):e122-30.
- Angus DC, Seymour CW, Coopersmith CM, Deutschman CS, Klompas M, Levy MM, Martin GS, Osborn TM, Rhee C, Watson RS. A Framework for the Development and Interpretation of Different Sepsis Definitions and Clinical Criteria. Crit Care Med. 2016 Mar;44(3):e113-21.
- Gohil SK, Cao C, Phelan M, Tjoa T, Rhee C, Platt R, Huang SS, . Impact of Policies on the Rise in Sepsis Incidence, 2000-2010. Clin Infect Dis. 2016 Mar 15;62(6):695-703. Epub 2016 Jan 19.
- Rhee C, Kadri S, Huang SS, Murphy MV, Li L, Platt R, Klompas M. Objective Sepsis Surveillance Using Electronic Clinical Data. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016 Feb;37(2):163-71. Epub 2015 Nov 3.
- Rhee C, Murphy MV, Li L, Platt R, Klompas M, . Improving documentation and coding for acute organ dysfunction biases estimates of changing sepsis severity and burden: a retrospective study. Crit Care. 2015 Sep 14. [Epub ahead of print].
- Rhee C, Murphy MV, Li L, Platt R, Klompas M, . Lactate Testing in Suspected Sepsis: Trends and Predictors of Failure to Measure Levels. Crit Care Med. 2015 Aug;43(8):1669-76.
- Kadri SS, Rhee C, Fortna GS, O'Grady NP. Critical Care Medicine and Infectious Diseases: An Emerging Combined Subspecialty in the United States. Clin Infect Dis. 2015 Aug 15;61(4):609-14. Epub 2015 May 5.
- Rhee C, Huang SS, Berríos-Torres SI, Kaganov R, Bruce C, Lankiewicz J, Platt R, Yokoe DS, . Surgical site infection surveillance following ambulatory surgery. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2015 Feb;36(2):225-8.
- Rhee C, Murphy MV, Li L, Platt R, Klompas M, . Comparison of trends in sepsis incidence and coding using administrative claims versus objective clinical data. Clin Infect Dis. 2015 Jan 1;60(1):88-95. Epub 2014 Sep 25.
- Rhee C, Sax PE. Evaluation of fever and infections in cardiac surgery patients. Semin Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2015 Jun;19(2):143-53. Epub 2014 Jun 22.
- Rhee C, Gohil S, Klompas M. Regulatory mandates for sepsis care--reasons for caution. N Engl J Med. 2014 May 1;370(18):1673-6. Epub 2014 Apr 16.
- Guillamet MC, Rhee C, Patterson AJ. Cardiovascular management of septic shock in 2012. Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2012 Oct;14(5):493-502.
- Rhee C, Eaton EF, Concepcion W, Blackburn BG. West Nile virus encephalitis acquired via liver transplantation and clinical response to intravenous immunoglobulin: case report and review of the literature. Transpl Infect Dis. 2011 Jun;13(3):312-7. Epub 2011 Jan 16.
- Schaenman JM, Shashidhar S, Rhee C, Wong J, Navato S, Wong RM, Ho DY, Arai S, Johnston L, Brown JM. Early CMV viremia is associated with impaired viral control following nonmyeloablative hematopoietic cell transplantation with a total lymphoid irradiation and antithymocyte globulin preparative regimen. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2011 May;17(5):693-702. Epub 2010 Aug 22.
- Zhang H, Rhee C, Bebenek A, Drake JW, Wang J, Konigsberg W. The L561A substitution in the nascent base-pair binding pocket of RB69 DNA polymerase reduces base discrimination. Biochemistry. 2006 Feb 21;45(7):2211-20.
- Rhee C, Klompas M, Tamburini FB, Fremin BJ, Chea N, Epstein L, Halpin AL, Guh A, Gallen R, Coulliette A, Gee J, Hsieh C, Desjardins CA, Pedamullu CS, DeAngelo DJ, Manzo VE, Folkerth RD, Milner DA, Pecora N, Osborne M, Chalifoux-Judge D, Bhatt AS, Yokoe DS. Epidemiologic Investigation of a Cluster of Neuroinvasive Bacillus cereus Infections in 5 Patients With Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. Open Forum Infect Dis. ; 2(3):ofv096.