Fax: (617)-867-4853 x44853
Melissa Gilkey, PhD
Melissa Gilkey is a behavioral scientist in the Department of Population Medicine’s Center for Child Health Care Studies. With research interests in adolescent health, cancer prevention, and health services research, Dr. Gilkey studies individual and organizational approaches to improving the delivery of adolescent vaccines, including human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine. Her work includes survey research to understand barriers to vaccination, such as parental hesitancy, as well as intervention research aimed at improving vaccine delivery systems. Dr. Gilkey is co-PI of a study funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation to evaluate the CDC’s AFIX (Assessment, Feedback, Incentives, and eXchange) model for improving HPV vaccine coverage in primary care settings. She recently received a Transition Career Development Award (K22) from the National Cancer Institute to develop a brief communication training program aimed at supporting healthcare providers in delivering effective recommendations for HPV vaccine.
Dr. Gilkey holds a PhD in the social and behavioral sciences from Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. She completed a postdoctoral fellowship in the University of North Carolina’s Cancer Control Education Program.
- Gilkey MB, Malo TL, Shah PD, Hall ME, Brewer NT. Quality of physician communication about human papillomavirus vaccine: findings from a national survey. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2015 Nov;24(11):1673-9. Epub 2015 Oct 22.
- Gilkey MB, Reiter PL, Magnus BE, McRee AL, Dempsey AF, Brewer NT. Validation of the Vaccination Confidence Scale: A Brief Measure to Identify Parents at Risk for Refusing Adolescent Vaccines. Acad Pediatr. 2016 Jan-Feb;16(1):42-9. Epub 2015 Aug 20.
- Gilkey MB, Moss JL, Coyne-Beasley T, Hall ME, Shah PD, Brewer NT. Physician communication about adolescent vaccination: How is human papillomavirus vaccine different? Prev Med. 2015 Aug;77181-5. Epub 2015 Jul 4.
- Galbraith KV, Gilkey MB, Smith JS, Richman AR, Barclay L, Brewer NT. Perceptions of mailed HPV self-testing among women at higher risk for cervical cancer. J Community Health. 2014 Oct;39(5):849-56.
- Gilkey MB, Magnus BE, Reiter PL, McRee AL, Dempsey AF, Brewer NT. The Vaccination Confidence Scale: a brief measure of parents' vaccination beliefs. Vaccine. 2014 Oct 29;32(47):6259-65. Epub 2014 Oct 22.
- McRee AL, Gilkey MB, Dempsey AF. HPV vaccine hesitancy: findings from a statewide survey of health care providers. J Pediatr Health Care. 2014 Nov-Dec;28(6):541-9. Epub 2014 Jul 10.
- Gilkey MB, Dayton AM, Moss JL, Sparks AC, Grimshaw AH, Bowling JM, Brewer NT. Increasing provision of adolescent vaccines in primary care: a randomized controlled trial. Pediatrics. 2014 Aug;134(2):e346-53. Epub 2014 Jul 7.
- Reiter PL, Brewer NT, Gilkey MB, Katz ML, Paskett ED, Smith JS. Early adoption of the human papillomavirus vaccine among Hispanic adolescent males in the United States. Cancer. 2014 Oct 15;120(20):3200-7. Epub 2014 Jul 19.
- Reiter PL, Gupta K, Brewer NT, Gilkey MB, Katz ML, Paskett ED, Smith JS. Provider-verified HPV vaccine coverage among a national sample of Hispanic adolescent females. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2014 May;23(5):742-54. Epub 2014 Mar 14.
- Gilkey MB, Moss JL, Roberts AJ, Dayton AM, Grimshaw AH, Brewer NT. Comparing in-person and webinar delivery of an immunization quality improvement program: a process evaluation of the adolescent AFIX trial. Implement Sci. 2014 Mar 18. [Epub ahead of print].
- Reiter PL, McRee AL, Pepper JK, Gilkey MB, Galbraith KV, Brewer NT. Longitudinal predictors of human papillomavirus vaccination among a national sample of adolescent males. Am J Public Health. 2013 Aug;103(8):1419-27. Epub 2013 Jul 13.
- Gilkey MB, McRee AL, Brewer NT. Forgone vaccination during childhood and adolescence: findings of a statewide survey of parents. Prev Med. 2013 Mar;56(3-4):202-6. Epub 2013 Jan 4.
- Moss JL, Gilkey MB, Reiter PL, Brewer NT. Trends in HPV vaccine initiation among adolescent females in North Carolina, 2008-2010. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2012 Nov;21(11):1913-22. Epub 2012 Oct 20.
- Gilkey MB, Moss JL, McRee AL, Brewer NT. Do correlates of HPV vaccine initiation differ between adolescent boys and girls? Vaccine. 2012 Sep 7;30(41):5928-34. Epub 2012 Jul 27.