Phone: (617) 509-9879
Fax: (617) 859-9853
Associate Professor, Harvard Medical School
Associate Professor, Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health
Emily Oken, MD, MPH
Dr. Oken is an Associate Professor in the Department of Population Medicine. Her research is focused on the health effects of nutrition and environmental toxicants on health and disease, with a particular focus on pregnancy early childhood. She has studied the balance of risk and benefit from maternal fish consumption during pregnancy on child development, long term health effects of breastfeeding for both mother and child, and determinants and sequelae of excess gestational weight gain. She has also performed a number of studies on the influence of modifiable behaviors during pregnancy, such as smoking, physical activity, and diet, on risk for obesity among both mothers and their children. Within the Department of Population Medicine Dr. Oken is Director of Faculty Development and site director for the Harvard General Medicine fellowship. At Harvard Medical School, she is a Peabody Society Research Fellow, in which role she guides medical students in meeting their research requirement for graduation. Dr. Oken completed residency training in both internal medicine and pediatrics. She practices as a primary care physician at the Fish Center for Women's Health at Brigham and Women's Hospital, and has a clinical interest in medical care for women before, during, and after pregnancy.
- Oken E. Consumption of Fish and Long-Chain n-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids During Pregnancy: has the Tide Turned? Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2015 Sep;29(5):388-90.
- Provenzano AM, Rifas-Shiman SL, Herring SJ, Rich-Edwards JW, Oken E. Associations of maternal material hardships during childhood and adulthood with prepregnancy weight, gestational weight gain, and postpartum weight retention. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2015 Jul;24(7):563-71. Epub 2015 Apr 22.
- Harris MH, Gold DR, Rifas-Shiman SL, Melly SJ, Zanobetti A, Coull BA, Schwartz JD, Gryparis A, Kloog I, Koutrakis P, Bellinger DC, White RF, Sagiv SK, Oken E. Prenatal and Childhood Traffic-Related Pollution Exposure and Childhood Cognition in the Project Viva Cohort (Massachusetts, USA). Environ Health Perspect. 2015 Oct;123(10):1072-8. Epub 2015 Apr 3.
- Fleisch AF, Rifas-Shiman SL, Koutrakis P, Schwartz JD, Kloog I, Melly S, Coull BA, Zanobetti A, Gillman MW, Gold DR, Oken E. Prenatal exposure to traffic pollution: associations with reduced fetal growth and rapid infant weight gain. Epidemiology. 2015 Jan;26(1):43-50.
- Karachaliou M, Georgiou V, Roumeliotaki T, Chalkiadaki G, Daraki V, Koinaki S, Dermitzaki E, Sarri K, Vassilaki M, Kogevinas M, Oken E, Chatzi L. Association of trimester-specific gestational weight gain with fetal growth, offspring obesity, and cardiometabolic traits in early childhood. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Apr;212(4):502.e1-14. Epub 2014 Dec 31.
- Perng W, Rifas-Shiman SL, Rich-Edwards JW, Stuebe AM, Oken E. Inflammation and weight gain in reproductive-aged women. Ann Hum Biol. 2014 Dec 16. [Epub ahead of print].
- Walter JR, Perng W, Kleinman KP, Rifas-Shiman SL, Rich-Edwards JW, Oken E. Associations of trimester-specific gestational weight gain with maternal adiposity and systolic blood pressure at 3 and 7 years postpartum. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Apr;212(4):499.e1-12. Epub 2014 Nov 13.
- Perng W, Stuart J, Rifas-Shiman SL, Rich-Edwards JW, Stuebe A, Oken E. Preterm birth and long-term maternal cardiovascular health. Ann Epidemiol. 2015 Jan;25(1):40-5. Epub 2014 Oct 18.
- Perng W, Gillman MW, Fleisch AF, Michalek RD, Watkins SM, Isganaitis E, Patti ME, Oken E. Metabolomic profiles and childhood obesity. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2014 Dec;22(12):2570-8. Epub 2014 Sep 24.
- Perng W, Gillman MW, Mantzoros CS, Oken E. A prospective study of maternal prenatal weight and offspring cardiometabolic health in midchildhood. Ann Epidemiol. 2014 Nov;24(11):793-800.e1. Epub 2014 Sep 3.
- Zallman L, Ibekwe L, Thompson J, Ross-Degnan D, Oken E. Development of a Mapped Diabetes Community Program Guide for a Safety Net Population. Diabetes Educ. 2014 Apr 21. [Epub ahead of print].
- Martin RM, Patel R, Kramer MS, Vilchuck K, Bogdanovich N, Sergeichick N, Gusina N, Foo Y, Palmer T, Thompson J, Gillman MW, Smith GD, Oken E. Effects of promoting longer-term and exclusive breastfeeding on cardiometabolic risk factors at age 11.5 years: a cluster-randomized, controlled trial. Circulation. 2014 Jan 21;129(3):321-9. Epub 2013 Dec 3.
- Oken E, Switkowski K, Price S, Guthrie L, Taveras EM, Gillman M, Friedes J, Callaghan W, Dietz P. A qualitative study of gestational weight gain counseling and tracking. Matern Child Health J. 2013 Oct;17(8):1508-17.
- Belfort MB, Rifas-Shiman SL, Kleinman KP, Guthrie LB, Bellinger DC, Taveras EM, Gillman MW, Oken E. Infant feeding and childhood cognition at ages 3 and 7 years: Effects of breastfeeding duration and exclusivity. JAMA Pediatr. 2013 Sep;167(9):836-44.
- Oken E, Patel R, Guthrie LB, Vilchuck K, Bogdanovich N, Sergeichick N, Palmer TM, Kramer MS, Martin RM. Effects of an intervention to promote breastfeeding on maternal adiposity and blood pressure at 11.5 y postpartum: results from the Promotion of Breastfeeding Intervention Trial, a cluster-randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2013 Oct;98(4):1048-56. Epub 2013 Aug 14.
- Oken E, Guthrie LB, Bloomingdale A, Gillman MW, Olsen SF, Amarasiriwardena CJ, Platek DN, Bellinger DC, Wright RO. Assessment of dietary fish consumption in pregnancy: comparing one-, four- and thirty-six-item questionnaires. Public Health Nutr. 2014 Sep;17(9):1949-59. Epub 2013 Jul 24.
- Regnault N, Gillman MW, Rifas-Shiman SL, Eggleston E, Oken E. Sex-specific associations of gestational glucose tolerance with childhood body composition. Diabetes Care. 2013 Oct;36(10):3045-53. Epub 2013 Jul 22.
- Oken E, Guthrie LB, Bloomingdale A, Platek DN, Price S, Haines J, Gillman MW, Olsen SF, Bellinger DC, Wright RO. A pilot randomized controlled trial to promote healthful fish consumption during pregnancy: the Food for Thought Study. Nutr J. 2013 Mar 15. [Epub ahead of print].
- Martin RM, Patel R, Kramer MS, Guthrie L, Vilchuck K, Bogdanovich N, Sergeichick N, Gusina N, Foo Y, Palmer T, Rifas-Shiman SL, Gillman MW, Smith GD, Oken E. Effects of promoting longer-term and exclusive breastfeeding on adiposity and insulin-like growth factor-I at age 11.5 years: a randomized trial. JAMA. 2013 Mar 13;309(10):1005-13.
- Maslova E, Strøm M, Oken E, Campos H, Lange C, Gold D, Olsen SF. Fish intake during pregnancy and the risk of child asthma and allergic rhinitis - longitudinal evidence from the Danish National Birth Cohort. Br J Nutr. 2013 Oct;110(7):1313-25. Epub 2013 Mar 8.
- Patel R, Oken E, Bogdanovich N, Matush L, Sevkovskaya Z, Chalmers B, Hodnett ED, Vilchuck K, Kramer MS, Martin RM. Cohort profile: The promotion of breastfeeding intervention trial (PROBIT). Int J Epidemiol. 2014 Jun;43(3):679-90. Epub 2013 Mar 7.
- Boeke CE, Gillman MW, Hughes MD, Rifas-Shiman SL, Villamor E, Oken E. Choline intake during pregnancy and child cognition at age 7 years. Am J Epidemiol. 2013 Jun 15;177(12):1338-47. Epub 2013 Feb 20.
- Anderson EL, Fraser A, Martin RM, Kramer MS, Oken E, Patel R, Tilling K, . Associations of postnatal growth with asthma and atopy: the PROBIT Study. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2013 Mar;24(2):122-30. Epub 2013 Feb 3.
- Oken E. Secular trends in birthweight. Nestle Nutr Inst Workshop Ser. 2013;71103-14. Epub 2013 Jan 22.
- Morisaki N, Esplin MS, Varner MW, Henry E, Oken E. Declines in birth weight and fetal growth independent of gestational length. Obstet Gynecol. 2013 Jan;121(1):51-8.
- Herring SJ, Nelson DB, Davey A, Klotz AA, Dibble LV, Oken E, Foster GD. Determinants of excessive gestational weight gain in urban, low-income women. Womens Health Issues. 2012 Sep;22(5):e439-46. Epub 2012 Jul 17.
- Benjamin Neelon SE, Oken E, Taveras EM, Rifas-Shiman SL, Gillman MW. Age of achievement of gross motor milestones in infancy and adiposity at age 3 years. Matern Child Health J. 2012 Jul;16(5):1015-20.
- Huh SY, Rifas-Shiman SL, Zera CA, Edwards JW, Oken E, Weiss ST, Gillman MW. Delivery by caesarean section and risk of obesity in preschool age children: a prospective cohort study. Arch Dis Child. 2012 Jul;97(7):610-6. Epub 2012 May 23.
- Villamor E, Rifas-Shiman SL, Gillman MW, Oken E. Maternal intake of methyl-donor nutrients and child cognition at 3 years of age. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2012 Jul;26(4):328-35. Epub 2012 Mar 14.
- Guthrie LB, Oken E, Sterne JA, Gillman MW, Patel R, Vilchuck K, Bogdanovich N, Kramer MS, Martin RM. Ongoing monitoring of data clustering in multicenter studies. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2012 Mar 13. [Epub ahead of print].
- Oken E, Choi AL, Karagas MR, Mariën K, Rheinberger CM, Schoeny R, Sunderland E, Korrick S. Which fish should I eat? Perspectives influencing fish consumption choices. Environ Health Perspect. 2012 Jun;120(6):790-8. Epub 2012 Feb 22.
- Price SN, McDonald J, Oken E, Haines J, Gillman MW, Taveras EM. Content analysis of motivational counseling calls targeting obesity-related behaviors among postpartum women. Matern Child Health J. 2012 Feb;16(2):439-47.
- Karagas MR, Choi AL, Oken E, Horvat M, Schoeny R, Kamai E, Cowell W, Grandjean P, Korrick S. Evidence on the human health effects of low-level methylmercury exposure. Environ Health Perspect. 2012 Jun;120(6):799-806. Epub 2012 Jan 24.
- Taveras EM, Blackburn K, Gillman MW, Haines J, McDonald J, Price S, Oken E. First steps for mommy and me: a pilot intervention to improve nutrition and physical activity behaviors of postpartum mothers and their infants. Matern Child Health J. 2011 Nov;15(8):1217-27.
- Zera C, McGirr S, Oken E. Screening for obesity in reproductive-aged women. Prev Chronic Dis. 2011 Nov;8(6):A125. Epub 2011 Oct 17.
- Tovar A, Chasan-Taber L, Eggleston E, Oken E. Postpartum screening for diabetes among women with a history of gestational diabetes mellitus. Prev Chronic Dis. 2011 Nov;8(6):A124. Epub 2011 Oct 17.
- Tovar A, Guthrie LB, Platek D, Stuebe A, Herring SJ, Oken E. Modifiable predictors associated with having a gestational weight gain goal. Matern Child Health J. 2011 Oct;15(7):1119-26.
- Cohen JF, Rifas-Shiman SL, Rimm EB, Oken E, Gillman MW. Maternal trans fatty acid intake and fetal growth. Am J Clin Nutr. 2011 Nov;94(5):1241-7. Epub 2011 Sep 14.
- Mahaffey KR, Sunderland EM, Chan HM, Choi AL, Grandjean P, Mariën K, Oken E, Sakamoto M, Schoeny R, Weihe P, Yan CH, Yasutake A. Balancing the benefits of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and the risks of methylmercury exposure from fish consumption. Nutr Rev. 2011 Sep;69(9):493-508.
- Moholdt TT, Salvesen K, Ingul CB, Vik T, Oken E, Mørkved S. Exercise Training in Pregnancy for obese women (ETIP): study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials. 2011 Jun 17. [Epub ahead of print].
- Tilling K, Davies NM, Nicoli E, Ben-Shlomo Y, Kramer MS, Patel R, Oken E, Martin RM. Associations of growth trajectories in infancy and early childhood with later childhood outcomes. Am J Clin Nutr. 2011 Dec;94(6 Suppl):1808S-1813S. Epub 2011 Jun 1.
- Donahue SM, Rifas-Shiman SL, Gold DR, Jouni ZE, Gillman MW, Oken E. Prenatal fatty acid status and child adiposity at age 3 y: results from a US pregnancy cohort. Am J Clin Nutr. 2011 Apr;93(4):780-8. Epub 2011 Feb 10.
- Huh SY, Rifas-Shiman SL, Taveras EM, Oken E, Gillman MW. Timing of solid food introduction and risk of obesity in preschool-aged children. Pediatrics. 2011 Mar;127(3):e544-51. Epub 2011 Feb 7.
- Herring SJ, Oken E. Obesity and diabetes in mothers and their children: can we stop the intergenerational cycle? Curr Diab Rep. 2011 Feb;11(1):20-7.
- Patel R, Martin RM, Kramer MS, Oken E, Bogdanovich N, Matush L, Smith GD, Lawlor DA. Familial associations of adiposity: findings from a cross-sectional study of 12,181 parental-offspring trios from Belarus. PLoS ONE. 2011 Jan 27. [Epub ahead of print].
- van Rossem L, Taveras EM, Gillman MW, Kleinman KP, Rifas-Shiman SL, Raat H, Oken E. Is the association of breastfeeding with child obesity explained by infant weight change? Int J Pediatr Obes. 2011 Jun;6(2-2):e415-22. Epub 2010 Oct 28.
- Oken E, Belfort MB. Fish, fish oil, and pregnancy. JAMA. 2010 Oct 20;304(15):1717-8.
- Bloomingdale A, Guthrie LB, Price S, Wright RO, Platek D, Haines J, Oken E. A qualitative study of fish consumption during pregnancy. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 Nov;92(5):1234-40. Epub 2010 Sep 15.
- Tse AC, Rich-Edwards JW, Rifas-Shiman SL, Gillman MW, Oken E. Association of maternal prenatal depressive symptoms with child cognition at age 3 years. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2010 May;24(3):232-40.
- Oken E. Fish intake and mercury levels: only part of the picture. J Pediatr. 2010 Jul;157(1):10-2. Epub 2010 Apr 18.
- Donahue SM, Kleinman KP, Gillman MW, Oken E. Trends in birth weight and gestational length among singleton term births in the United States: 1990-2005. Obstet Gynecol. 2010 Feb;115(2 Pt 1):357-64.
- Herring SJ, Platek DN, Elliott P, Riley LE, Stuebe AM, Oken E. Addressing obesity in pregnancy: what do obstetric providers recommend? J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2010 Jan;19(1):65-70.
- Oken E. Maternal and child obesity: the causal link. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2009 Jun;36(2):361-77, ix-x.
- Rifas-Shiman SL, Rich-Edwards JW, Kleinman KP, Oken E, Gillman MW. Dietary quality during pregnancy varies by maternal characteristics in Project Viva: a US cohort. J Am Diet Assoc. 2009 Jun;109(6):1004-11.
- Stuebe AM, Oken E, Gillman MW. Associations of diet and physical activity during pregnancy with risk for excessive gestational weight gain. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009 Jul;201(1):58.e1-8. Epub 2009 May 21.
- Oken E, Kleinman KP, Belfort MB, Hammitt JK, Gillman MW. Associations of gestational weight gain with short- and longer-term maternal and child health outcomes. Am J Epidemiol. 2009 Jul 15;170(2):173-80. Epub 2009 May 13.
- Herring SJ, Oken E, Rifas-Shiman SL, Rich-Edwards JW, Stuebe AM, Kleinman KP, Gillman MW. Weight gain in pregnancy and risk of maternal hyperglycemia. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009 Jul;201(1):61.e1-7. Epub 2009 Apr 15.
- Taveras EM, Rifas-Shiman SL, Belfort MB, Kleinman KP, Oken E, Gillman MW. Weight status in the first 6 months of life and obesity at 3 years of age. Pediatrics. 2009 Apr;123(4):1177-83.
- Schmidt ME, Rich M, Rifas-Shiman SL, Oken E, Taveras EM. Television viewing in infancy and child cognition at 3 years of age in a US cohort. Pediatrics. 2009 Mar;123(3):e370-5.
- Fasting MH, Oken E, Mantzoros CS, Rich-Edwards JW, Majzoub JA, Kleinman K, Rifas-Shiman SL, Vik T, Gillman MW. Maternal levels of corticotropin-releasing hormone during pregnancy in relation to adiponectin and leptin in early childhood. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009 Apr;94(4):1409-15. Epub 2009 Feb 3.
- Oken E. Excess gestational weight gain amplifies risks among obese mothers. Epidemiology. 2009 Jan;20(1):82-3.
- Herring SJ, Oken E, Haines J, Rich-Edwards JW, Rifas-Shiman SL, Kleinman ScD KP, Gillman MW. Misperceived pre-pregnancy body weight status predicts excessive gestational weight gain: findings from a US cohort study. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2008 Dec 22. [Epub ahead of print].
- Oken E, Braverman LE, Platek D, Mitchell ML, Lee SL, Pearce EN. Neonatal thyroxine, maternal thyroid function, and child cognition. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009 Feb;94(2):497-503. Epub 2008 Nov 25.
- Wright CS, Rifas-Shiman SL, Rich-Edwards JW, Taveras EM, Gillman MW, Oken E. Intrauterine exposure to gestational diabetes, child adiposity, and blood pressure. Am J Hypertens. 2009 Feb;22(2):215-20. Epub 2008 Nov 20.
- Oken E, Rifas-Shiman SL, Field AE, Frazier AL, Gillman MW. Maternal gestational weight gain and offspring weight in adolescence. Obstet Gynecol. 2008 Nov;112(5):999-1006.
- Oken E, Østerdal ML, Gillman MW, Knudsen VK, Halldorsson TI, Strøm M, Bellinger DC, Hadders-Algra M, Michaelsen KF, Olsen SF. Associations of maternal fish intake during pregnancy and breastfeeding duration with attainment of developmental milestones in early childhood: a study from the Danish National Birth Cohort. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Sep;88(3):789-96.
- Belfort MB, Rifas-Shiman SL, Rich-Edwards JW, Kleinman KP, Oken E, Gillman MW. Infant growth and child cognition at 3 years of age. Pediatrics. 2008 Sep;122(3):e689-95.
- Taveras EM, Rifas-Shiman SL, Camargo CA, Gold DR, Litonjua AA, Oken E, Weiss ST, Gillman MW. Higher adiposity in infancy associated with recurrent wheeze in a prospective cohort of children. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2008 May;121(5):1161-1166.e3.
- Gillman MW, Rifas-Shiman SL, Kleinman K, Oken E, Rich-Edwards JW, Taveras EM. Developmental origins of childhood overweight: potential public health impact. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008 Jul;16(7):1651-6. Epub 2008 May 1.
- Taveras EM, Rifas-Shiman SL, Oken E, Gunderson EP, Gillman MW. Short sleep duration in infancy and risk of childhood overweight. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2008 Apr;162(4):305-11.
- Oken E, Bellinger DC. Fish consumption, methylmercury and child neurodevelopment. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2008 Apr;20(2):178-83.
- Herring SJ, Rich-Edwards JW, Oken E, Rifas-Shiman SL, Kleinman KP, Gillman MW. Association of postpartum depression with weight retention 1 year after childbirth. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008 Jun;16(6):1296-301. Epub 2008 Mar 27.
- Oken E, Radesky JS, Wright RO, Bellinger DC, Amarasiriwardena CJ, Kleinman KP, Hu H, Gillman MW. Maternal fish intake during pregnancy, blood mercury levels, and child cognition at age 3 years in a US cohort. Am J Epidemiol. 2008 May 15;167(10):1171-81. Epub 2008 Mar 18.
- Belfort MB, Rifas-Shiman SL, Rich-Edwards JW, Kleinman KP, Oken E, Gillman MW. Maternal iron intake and iron status during pregnancy and child blood pressure at age 3 years. Int J Epidemiol. 2008 Apr;37(2):301-8. Epub 2008 Feb 8.
- Pearce EN, Oken E, Gillman MW, Lee SL, Magnani B, Platek D, Braverman LE. Association of first-trimester thyroid function test values with thyroperoxidase antibody status, smoking, and multivitamin use. Endocr Pract. 2008 Jan-Feb;14(1):33-9.
- Radesky JS, Oken E, Rifas-Shiman SL, Kleinman KP, Rich-Edwards JW, Gillman MW. Diet during early pregnancy and development of gestational diabetes. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2008 Jan;22(1):47-59.
- Gunderson EP, Rifas-Shiman SL, Oken E, Rich-Edwards JW, Kleinman KP, Taveras EM, Gillman MW. Association of fewer hours of sleep at 6 months postpartum with substantial weight retention at 1 year postpartum. Am J Epidemiol. 2008 Jan 15;167(2):178-87. Epub 2007 Oct 29.
- Kleinman KP, Oken E, Radesky JS, Rich-Edwards JW, Peterson KE, Gillman MW. How should gestational weight gain be assessed? A comparison of existing methods and a novel method, area under the weight gain curve. Int J Epidemiol. 2007 Dec;36(6):1275-82. Epub 2007 Aug 22.
- Oken E, Ning Y, Rifas-Shiman SL, Rich-Edwards JW, Olsen SF, Gillman MW. Diet during pregnancy and risk of preeclampsia or gestational hypertension. Ann Epidemiol. 2007 Sep;17(9):663-8. Epub 2007 May 23.
- Oken E, Taveras EM, Kleinman KP, Rich-Edwards JW, Gillman MW. Gestational weight gain and child adiposity at age 3 years. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007 Apr;196(4):322.e1-8.
- Oken E, Taveras EM, Popoola FA, Rich-Edwards JW, Gillman MW. Television, walking, and diet: associations with postpartum weight retention. Am J Prev Med. 2007 Apr;32(4):305-11.
- Oken E, Ning Y, Rifas-Shiman SL, Radesky JS, Rich-Edwards JW, Gillman MW. Associations of physical activity and inactivity before and during pregnancy with glucose tolerance. Obstet Gynecol. 2006 Nov;108(5):1200-7.
- Oken E, Rifas-Shiman SL, Kleinman KP, Scanlon KS, Rich-Edwards JW. Trends in childhood anemia in a Massachusetts Health Maintenance Organization, 1987-2001. MedGenMed. 2006 Sep 7. [Epub ahead of print].
- Kim J, Peterson KE, Scanlon KS, Fitzmaurice GM, Must A, Oken E, Rifas-Shiman SL, Rich-Edwards JW, Gillman MW. Trends in overweight from 1980 through 2001 among preschool-aged children enrolled in a health maintenance organization. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2006 Jul;14(7):1107-12.
- Gold DR, Willwerth BM, Tantisira KG, Finn PW, Schaub B, Perkins DL, Tzianabos A, Ly NP, Schroeter C, Gibbons F, Campos H, Oken E, Gillman MW, Palmer LJ, Ryan LM, Weiss ST. Associations of cord blood fatty acids with lymphocyte proliferation, IL-13, and IFN-gamma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2006 Apr;117(4):931-8. Epub 2006 Feb 14.
- Rifas-Shiman SL, Rich-Edwards JW, Willett WC, Kleinman KP, Oken E, Gillman MW. Changes in dietary intake from the first to the second trimester of pregnancy. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2006 Jan;20(1):35-42.
- Oken E, Huh SY, Taveras EM, Rich-Edwards JW, Gillman MW. Associations of maternal prenatal smoking with child adiposity and blood pressure. Obes Res. 2005 Nov;13(11):2021-8.
- Oken E, Wright RO, Kleinman KP, Bellinger D, Amarasiriwardena CJ, Hu H, Rich-Edwards JW, Gillman MW. Maternal fish consumption, hair mercury, and infant cognition in a U.S. Cohort. Environ Health Perspect. 2005 Oct;113(10):1376-80.
- Oken E, Kleinman KP, Olsen SF, Rich-Edwards JW, Gillman MW. Associations of seafood and elongated n-3 fatty acid intake with fetal growth and length of gestation: results from a US pregnancy cohort. Am J Epidemiol. 2004 Oct 15;160(8):774-83.
- Raby BA, Celedón JC, Litonjua AA, Phipatanakul W, Sredl D, Oken E, Ryan L, Weiss ST, Gold DR. Low-normal gestational age as a predictor of asthma at 6 years of age. Pediatrics. 2004 Sep;114(3):e327-32.
- Oken E, Martinez Stoffel E, Stern LJ. Use of volunteer medical brigades to assess growth in Honduras. J Trop Pediatr. 2004 Aug;50(4):203-8.
- Oken E, Kleinman KP, Berland WE, Simon SR, Rich-Edwards JW, Gillman MW. Decline in fish consumption among pregnant women after a national mercury advisory. Obstet Gynecol. 2003 Aug;102(2):346-51.
- Oken E, Kleinman KP, Rich-Edwards J, Gillman MW. A nearly continuous measure of birth weight for gestational age using a United States national reference. BMC Pediatr. 2003 Jul 8;36. Epub 2003 Jul 8.
- Oken E, Gillman MW. Fetal origins of obesity. Obes Res. 2003 Apr;11(4):496-506.
- Oken E, Duggan C. Update on micronutrients: iron and zinc. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2002 Jun;14(3):350-3.
- Lightdale JR, Oken E. Breastfeeding, food choices, restrictive diets, and nutritional fads. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2002 Jun;14(3):344-9.