To evaluate patients' expectations regarding the perceived utility of whole-genome sequencing (WGS).
MATERIALS & METHODS
We used latent class analysis to characterize individuals enrolled in the MedSeq Project based on their perceived utility of WGS. Multinomial logistic regression was used to evaluate associations between participant characteristics and latent classes.
Findings characterized participants into one of three perceived utility groups: enthusiasts, who had a high probability of agreement with all utility items (23%); health conscious, who perceived utility in medically related areas (60%) or skeptics, who had a low probability of agreement with utility items (17%). Trust significantly predicted latent class.
Understanding differences in perceived utility of WGS may inform strategies for uptake of this technology.